Snapshot #2 - The Best Doggie Ever

This is the face of the best dog in the world.  Her name is Chloe and she came to my parents in 2004. Chloe was a mystery for quite awhile.  We first saw her during a blizzard in February 2004, but we couldn't get close to her.  I remember going on walks back then.  She would get close enough to watch us, but stay far enough away that we couldn't even tell if she was a male or female.  Her original name was Gordon, obviously we guessed wrong.

Chloe smiling for the camera
Chloe was a really interesting stray dog.  She would lay with the bulls in the corral in front of our house.  She would get up and nudge the bull if he hadn't moved in awhile.  When he moved a little she would lay back down and sleep.  They were great friends.  We don't know exactly what kind of dog she is, but she seems to have the shepherding instinct of a Great Pyrenees.


Chloe loves to sit and wait to shake our hand.

"Hello, I want to shake hands!"

"It's nice to meet you."
One day, four months after she had shown up, Chloe got a little closer to my dad and he decided he would try to pet her.  He said, "Chloe, I am going to come pet you."  She seriously rolled over and let him pet and scratch her stomach.  From that moment on she was ours and we were hers. A great love and friendship blossomed immediately. It seems unbelievable, but it is a true story.  That was in June 2004 and she has been our favorite dog ever since.

"I am coming to see you, Jessie!"
I missed you too, Chloe!
Chloe has a strong maternal instinct.  She has never had puppies, but her best friends have always been our farm cats.  In the winter it isn't unusual to see four kittens curled up with her and two sleeping on her back.  A few years back we lost a mother cat shortly after she gave birth.  Chloe started making milk to feed the kittens.  I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.  

"Look at me!  I am so pretty!"

Chloe is the sweetest dog I have ever met.  She doesn't try to jump on everyone or get in the way.  When cars come down the road, she knows immediately if it is someone she knows and loves. When people pull into the driveway she will either greet them with excitement or she will run away and not come back until they have left. We like to think Chloe is a good judge of character. When Chloe likes you, she will insist that you shake her paw. She has always wanted to shake without prompting.

Goodbye for now

I have had other dogs in my life, but no dog will ever compare to the friend we have found in Chloe. My mom says that God knew what kind of dog we needed and I think she is right. Chloe is a one-of-a-kind dog and I thank God for sending her to us.

Snapshot #1 - Introduction                                                                                        Snapshot #3 - Momma

0 comments:

Like us!