My Top 5 Freezer to Dinner Plate Food Items

Redbeard likes to make fun of me for my addiction to saving money.  If I can get a bag of corn for five cents cheaper by buying the offbrand I will.  (Okay, maybe it isn't that extreme.)  Either way, I love a good bargain and definitely a quick meal!  Out on the farm, you never know when your husband is going to tell you ten minutes before lunchtime that he will be there and you weren't expecting him.  Or you might be helping the farmer and he expects food ten minutes after you get back.  (Does this happen to anyone else?)  There is a need for quick meals at times and I have found delicious options!

1. Kroger Buffalo Wings -  If you like wings as much as Redbeard and I, you will love this product!  They taste just as good as what you get in a restaurant and you don't even have to leave the house.  The price is better too!  They are $5.99 for 20 wings and you can get them anywhere that carries Kroger brand.  Warning: they are addictive and a little on the spicy side!


Kroger buffalo wings from Dillions

2. Great Value Breakfast Sandwiches - If you are like me, before I know it the morning is gone and I haven't eaten breakfast!  My mom had these sandwiches when I visited a few weeks ago and I was hooked from the start.  The first thing I noticed was how the whole house smelled like I had just made sausage patties, eggs, and biscuits.  You can cheat for breakfast and if you have company over, no one will know the difference!  After I tasted them, I knew I would be buying these like crazy.  I eat one for breakfast just about every morning.  It saves time in the morning and I am satisfied until lunch.  They have sausage, ham, or canadian bacon for meats and biscuit, croissant, or English muffin for bread choice.  You can find them at your local Wal-Mart, four in a package. 


Sausage, egg, and cheese croissant from Wal-Mart

3. Frozen vegetables -  Duh, right?  Well I don't make them in a pan on the stove like most people would.  I stick them in a bowl and microwave them until they are ready.  They taste just as good to us and it is so much faster and fewer dishes.  We pour out what we want to eat in a bowl, add some plastic wrap, and throw it in the microwave for 3 minutes or until toasty warm.  If you think this might hurt the beneficial aspects of the vegetables, read this article from Shape magazine.  This will save money because you don't have to buy the vegetables in the steamer bags to get steamed veggies in the microwave.  We prepare peas, green beans, corn, carrots, and edamame like this.


One pound bag of peas from Wal-Mart


4. Kroger Recipe beginnings - This is the perfect way to speed up a meal.  If you have these on hand, you don't have to waste time cutting up onion, green peppers, or anything else they offer.  I have started freezing onions and green peppers on my own, also.  If I need one onion, I will cut up another one to freeze.  I almost always have some frozen onions and green peppers when I need them.

Recipe beginnings from Dillions

5. Harvest meals - Beef and Pepperoni Calzones - They require preparation, but if you make them ahead of time they are fast.  I make the calzones ahead of time and freeze them individually with plastic wrap around them and then in a freezer bag or container.  When it is time to bake them, add five minutes to cook time and place them straight into the oven.  They are super easy to bake and yummy to eat!

Beef and Pepperoni Calzones straight out of the oven to bake

Do you have any additions to the list?  Comment and I will try them!

0 comments:

Like us!