My purple palace

So by now everyone should know I have an unhealthy obsession with purple.  I have always wanted a K-State purple colored room.  When I was a kid, my mom wouldn't let me because she thought I would grow out of crazy ideas. Well, the only thing she accomplished is not having the room in her house.

A few months ago, Jake and I transformed one of the bedrooms into my childhood dream.  It now serves as my workout/crocheting room.

Here are some pictures of the progress.  There are still a couple things left to do, but they will wait for cooler weather.

Before picture of carpet and wallpaper
First, we had to take the blue carpeting out of the room.  Underneath the carpet we found a very pleasant surprise.  The floor underneath was a beautiful, almost perfect wood floor.  We were hoping it would be nice, but were shocked that it was so nice.

Our first look at the wood floor underneath

We were surprised to find only a few issues with the floor.  There were staples everywhere and the finish was not looking so good.  I pulled out the staples and decided the rest of the floor work should happen in cooler weather.  I will post about this process later on when I actually get to the work.


After everything was off the floor

When all of the staples were out of the floor, I moved on to the wallpaper removal.  This was the longest section of the transformation so far.  I tried using DIF (a wallpaper removal product) and finally landed on plain water in a spray bottle.  It seemed to work the best.  My routine was spray the wall down, rub the water into the paper, and wait a few minutes to remove.  It took awhile, but it was well worth the wait.

Blue and white walls underneath the wallpaper
As I said before, I have wanted K-State purple walls in a room for many years.  When I was younger, I wanted my bedroom to be painted dark purple and my mom told me I would not like purple by the time I was in middle school.  When I was in middle school, I still wanted a purple room!  She finally gave in when I was in Europe the summer before my junior year of high school.  Now that I have my own home to improve, the first thing I did was paint three rooms purple.  I feel like I really showed her!  

All finished!  The beautiful purple walls I have dreamed of for years!

Here is a peek at my exercise equipment next to the BEAUTIFUL purple walls! :)  I remember hearing that Google did a study and found that employees working in purple rooms were most productive out of all the colors.  Let's hope this is a little more true in the future!  I haven't been using my workout equipment as much as I should.  In my defense, I have been using the great outdoors for my exercise!  This winter, the equipment will get used frequently!


My treadmill


My elliptical and crocheting chair
Now if I could just get Jake to get my gray curtains put up!  Look forward to the next post in the home improvement series, Wood Floors Renewed!

1 comment:

  1. Love, love crochet chairs! I got a new one for Christmas!

    I claim KState as my college to team to cheer for - I went to a small private school, but family and friends went to KState, so I can appreciate your room!

    ReplyDelete

Like us!