My Life as a Farm Wife


Many people have asked me over the last six months, "what does a farm wife like yourself do throughout the day?"  The answer is a little bit of everything.  Some days I get the dreaded call to go get parts for Redbeard.  I don't like these calls, (as much as I enjoy parts runs) because it means something is broken.  Broken equipment means that the day's job is usually on hold, so I hurry off to the store.  

Three days a week I work in the farm office.  I help pay bills and make sure the office work is completed.  It is nice to be able to walk 15 steps to work and I enjoy the job.  It gives me something to do half of my mornings.

Redbeard would say my most important job is preparing meals for him.  The man loves to eat!  I must say I am not very good about planning meals ahead of time.  Mealtime decisions usually start with a look in the refrigerator and pantry to see what we have.  As I said in Harvest Meals, I like to just throw in random ingredients.  

And then there is laundry and dishes, not my favorite task, but I get them done.  I try to get our laundry done at least once a week.  Luckily, Redbeard has enough work clothes for a week!  Usually I clean all the laundry in one day.  That way I don't get too bored.  Occasionally he comes home with mud, grease, or unidentified (or at least I don't want to think about what it really is) stains on clothes.  This calls for an emergency load of laundry.

The most important part of my day is taking time for myself.  The hustle and bustle of farm life can be overwhelming at times, especially during harvest.  It seems that making harvest meals and spending every second I can with RB takes up my whole day.  I try to take walks and crochet when the housework gets boring or stressful.  Our driveway is exactly 0.75 miles if I walk down and back, so it is the perfect break from the housework.

I have had to adjust to living over an hour from a Wal-Mart or Dillions.  It has been quite a difference from the 30 minutes I grew up from Manhattan and almost four years I lived in Manhattan.  Luckily, I watched how my mom would stock up on ingredients and then take the random items and make a masterpiece for supper.  I am definitely not up to her standard, but I hope to be one day.

Well, I guess you could say the life of a farm wife is a circle.  Everything I faced today will happen again tomorrow, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  I am blessed to call the farmer, my husband.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a loving wife, Jessie! It’s clear to me that you enjoy running errands around your farm and helping out your husband. He is equally as blessed to have you, and I hope that you’d continue to be a happy couple. Cheers!

    Faith Thomas @ The Berry Farm

    ReplyDelete

Like us!