Confessions of a Crocheting Addict

For twenty years I enjoyed my own version of crocheting.  When I was young I would crochet a whole skein of yarn into a mile long chain.  After I finished I would take it out, roll it up into a ball, and start over again.  On January 6, 2012, I decided it was time to "grow up" and make something more than a chain.  What came next was a huge surprise!  I was actually good at crocheting!

I started with making Redbeard a blanket for his bed that was brown, black, green, cream, and hunter orange.  Yeah, I was trying to be a good girlfriend and earn some future housewife points.  To be nice I decided to make him something manly.

My first project!
I even put a fancy hunter orange trim on it! 

After I finished this blanket, I decided to make a pretty pink blanket.  I really liked a crocheting style that my grandma used to make prayer shawls.  I really like how mine turned out, also!  It was a mystery how she made her prayer shawls like this, so I had to ask how she made them.  It is a triple then single crochet alternated with a long chain woven through the stitches.  It was nice to go back to my old style of crocheting and make an actual project!

I love how this blanket turned out!

The next project I tackled were some scarves for Christmas.  I made five scarves, but two of them were very special.  My cousin was looking for a way to tell the family she was going to have a baby, so I made them matching scarves!  It turned out better than I expected!  They were so cute!

Mary and I with her matching, Mommy and Baby scarves.

After Thanksgiving I told my mom that I would make her a queen size blanket for Christmas.  It ended up being a birthday present since I didn't get it done until June.  She picked a new stitch, called Larksfoot, for me to learn.

The finished product

Up close view of the Larksfoot stitch

When I finished her blanket, I decided I needed to make one for myself.  So I bought purple, gray, silver, and black yarn and got started.  After my mom's blanket, I completely fell in love with this crocheting stitch.

The first crocheting project that is just for me!

As you can see, I am addicted to crocheting.  When I am stressed, bored, or relaxed I reach for my crocheting bag.  I am so glad I decided to grow up and learn how to crochet!

6 comments:

  1. These are awesome! I'm jealous of how many blog posts you have. Lately, I haven't had a spare second to take the time to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I try to take time everyday to write on posts. I usually have 10 posts in my drafts. I write on all of them and then finish one when it is almost done.

      Delete
  2. Awe Jessie I use to love to crochet. I can not begin to recall all the things I crocheted. I made each one of my kids their own and they still have them. Maybe I should start again. I use to love it because it was a stress release for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I crochet when I need to relax, also! You should start crocheting again!

      Delete
  3. I have always wanted to learn how to do this, unfortunately no one in my family does. I may just need to break down and take lessons. You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever get to my area of the state or Manhattan, I will teach you! I love crocheting! When we watch tv in the evenings, I crochet. And it keeps me awake when I ride with Redbeard in the combine. :)

      Delete

Like us!