Harvest meals - Beef and Pepperoni Calzones

Fall harvest is upon us....at least for now, so I will share my favorite harvest meal with you!  The men love it too!  It is easy because it is not messy to eat in the combine!  I wrap them up in foil straight out of the oven and keep them in a cooler until I get to the field.

Writing about recipes is a new challenge for me.  I love to cook, but when it comes to sharing a recipe I made I run into a challenge.  I don't use measurements.  It seems that I have turned into my mom.  She doesn't measure ingredients before throwing them in the pan and her dad, my grandpa, is the same way.  I guess you could say I come from a long line of ad-libbers!  This recipe makes about 15 calzones, the smaller recipe is at the bottom of the post.  So here it goes....



Beef and Pepperoni Calzones


Start with two pounds of hamburger

Fry it up!

Add the spices:
2 T garlic powder
2 T onion powder
2 t crushed red pepper
1 t chili powder
1 1/2 t oregano
2 t Italian seasoning
I use about 50 slices of regular pepperoni and 50 of turkey pepperoni.
Stack the pepperoni to cut into quarters

Stir in pepperoni

Add 1 cup green peppers, 1 cup chopped onions, and
1.5 24 oz cans of spaghetti sauce
Finished product!
Filling up close


I make the dough in the original recipe size and make as many batches as I need.  Each batch makes about 5 calzones.

Start with
2 1/2 c flour and 1 package of quick rise yeast
Whisk together and add my secret ingredients...
3/4 t garlic salt (instead of regular salt)
3 T garlic powder
2 T onion powder
2 t oregano
2 t crushed red pepper
Add 2 T olive oil and 1 cup warm water
Stir until all ingredients are combined and
knead vigorously for three minutes
let rise for at least ten minutes with the bowl covered.

Separate the dough into 4 ounce sections

Roll dough into a flat, football shape

Add meat and mozzarella cheese

Fold dough over and press down

Roll the outside of the dough onto itself to make a double seal


Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes


Make butter sauce with butter, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese

After 15 minutes brush on the butter mixture onto the top of the calzone

Put oven on low broil for 5 minutes or until browned

Take them out of the oven and enjoy!!!!

Beef and Pepperoni Calzone Filling

Makes 8-10 calzones (depending on how much you put in them)

1 lb hamburger, browned
50 slices pepperoni
1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
1 t crushed red pepper
1/2 t chili powder
3/4 t oregano
1/2 t Italian seasoning
1/2 cup green peppers, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
18 oz spaghetti sauce

Prepare as stated above and enjoy! :)











7 comments:

  1. Pinned it to my Favorite Food to the Field board. If you have any more like this let me know.
    http://www.pinterest.com/farmnwife/favorite-foods-to-the-field/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good and easy! I will have to write that down and use it in the future!!

    Jeri :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss Jeri!!!! It is pretty yummy. :)

      Delete
  3. These look fantastic! I tried making a gluten free broccoli Alfredo hand pocket to take to the field and they fell apart on me and it was more like broccoli alfredo ooey gooey mess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made this specific recipe and it was the best of all. (I usually just throw stuff in and this is recipe perfection!) Your recipe sounds good. It is too bad it feel apart! I bet it was still yummy.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for linking to the Country Fair Blog Party! These look great and I think I need to make some to have on hand during corn planting which will be here before we know it!

    http://talesofakansasfarmmom.blogspot.com/2014/03/country-fair-blog-hop-2.html

    ReplyDelete

Like us!