Bowhunting...it has its drawbacks

I was talking with my buddy the other day.
I said, "Deer season starts Sept 16. I'm getting excited for it!"
" But wait, what's that, Jake? That would be archery season." He said
"That's right!" I said
"So that would mean that you are going to bow hunt deer?" He asked
"That's right!"
"So you are going to hunt deer with a bow and arrow?"
"That's right!"

That's right, I will be bow hunting deer this fall and winter. Hunting with a bow isn't an entirely new thing for me, since I went spring turkey hunting with a bow earlier this year. So yes, I am new to the bow hunting experience. When I first purchased my bow,  I only intended to turkey hunt with it. But I soon found out that shooting a bow is quite fun. Naturally, my hunting desire turned to deer.

As I envision how my first few hunts will go this fall, I see myself like Tom Miranda on Territories Wild, making epic shots on big trophy deer or like Steven Rinella, the MeatEater, harvesting game and cooking a part of them out in the wild. However, I know that historically, bow hunting has a low success rate. Chances are I will have few good shot opportunities and even more missed shots.

I guess the standard way to deer hunt in Kansas is to put up a tree stand and wait for a whitetail deer to come in. I don't want to climb a tree to just fall out, so that's not in my plan. I plan to spot and stalk or still hunt Mule deer. With that being said, I wouldn't pass up a good shot on a whitetail.

So, I know I'll have to take one for the team and I'll end up with more hours and days hunting because of this bow hunting thing. Actually if I really tried to, I could up my hunting time by weeks or even months. Its a terrible thing, spending more time hunting. Thanks a lot Archery Season.

Bow hunting... it has its drawbacks.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of tree stands either. They're uncomfortable and they kinda bug my back. I like to use a swivel chair in a ground blind. Good luck and good hunting this year man.

    ReplyDelete

Like us!